Pages

Sunday, December 26, 2010

VERBS – PRESENT AND PERFECT PARTICIPLES AND INFINITIVES


1.      Present participle (V + ing) in introductory verb phrases express action of the same time as the main verb.


Looking out the window, I saw John on his bicycle.

Looking at the ocean, I get a sense of piece.

2.      Perfect participles (having + past participle) in introductory verb phrases express action that occured prior to the main verb’s action.
Perf. Part                            past.
Having taken a shower, I went to bed (I took a shower before I went to bed)

Perf. Part.                                     press
Having lost all our money, we have to return from our vacation early. (We lost our money , and now we have to go home early.)

3.      The present infinitive (to + V) expresses action that occurs at the same time as or future to the main verb.

             Pres.
   Pres.  Inf.
I hope to pass the test tomorrow. (To pass is future to hope)

                 pres
    past      Infin.
I wanted to leave early yesterday. (To leave is same time as or future to wanted.)

4.      The perfect infinitive (to + have + past participle) expresses action that occurred prior to the main verb’s action.


I hope to have passed the test I took yesterday.
( I hope now that I passed the test I took yesterday.)

He is reported to have died yesterday.
(He apparently died yesterday and now his death is being reported.)

He was reported to have died the day before.
(He apparently died the day before his death  was reported.)

I would like to have lived in the seventeenth century.
(I wish now that I had lived at some time in the past.)

=====================================================

ERROR EXAMPLES

A.    WRONG : Getting a driver’s license, Paul was able to drive from Boston to Los  Angeles.
RIGHT   : Having gotten a driver’s license, Paul was able to drive from Boston to Los  
Angeles.

B.     WRONG : When I saw you yesterday, I would have liked to have stopped and talked to you.

RIGHT   : When I saw you yesterday, I would have liked to stop and talk to you.

C.     WRONG : She is reputed to be a spy during World War II.
RIGHT   : She is reputed to have been a spy during World War II.

D.    WRONG : He is said to having written a great novel.
RIGHT   : He is said to have written a great novel.


EXERCISE: Put “C” if the sentence is correct. Put “X” if there is an error in the participle or infinitive.

____1.   They chose not to have attended the meeting.
____2.   She would have liked to study abroad.
____3.   The notorious criminal is reported to having surrendered yesterday.
____4.   Applying at the University of Arizona, she anxiosly awaited her acceptance.
____5.   They are presumed to die in the crash last weekend.
____6.   Having studied diligently, he found the examination quite easy.
____7.   Writing the letter, she mailed it on her way to work.
____8.   The police officer wanted to give me a ride home.
____9.   Catching several fish, they cooked them for dinner.
____10.  Betty should have remembered to call me last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment