Pages

Thursday, December 9, 2010

VERBS – TIME CLAUSES


Use the simple present tense in future-time clauses (when the action will take place sometime in the future). (Never use will or going to in future-time clauses.) Time clauses are introduced by such words as: when, while, after, before, as soon as etc.

a)      Future-time clauses:

                                present
As soon as they get the degrees, they are going home.
       Future-time  clause

          present
When I see him, I will give him your message.
Future-time  clauses

Other tenses may also be used in time clauses, but the present tense must be used in future-time clauses when the main clause is in the future.
=====================================================
ERROR EXAMPLES
A.   WRONG :  Whenever you will be in town, call me.
      RIGHT    :  Whenever you are in town, call me. 

B.   WRONG  :  As soon as I will get all the vaccinations I will need, I will be leaving for Southeast Asia.  
      RIGHT     :  As soon as I get all the vaccinations I will need, I will be leaving for Southeast Asia.  

C.   WRONG :   After Dave is going to break the track record, many universities will  offer him scholarship.
      RIGHT   :    After Dave breaks the track record, many universities will offer him  scholarships.
=========================================================
EXERCISE 2 : Put  “C” if the sentence is correct. Put “X” if there is a mistake in the time clause.

_____1. You should visit that part of the country when it will be spring.
_____2. It will get cold in the desert when winter will come.
_____3. As soon as you learn to swim, I will take you to our cabin at the lake.
_____4. When the children are going to visit their grandmother, Henry  and I will be going to Europe.
_____5. When Bruce visits him tomorrow, his doctor will probably tell him to increase his medication.
_____6. Will you buy me a wool jacket when you will be in Scotland?
_____7. The actress who plays this role will receive an award when the critics will see her performance.
_____8. When I have time I will try to run two miles.  
_____9. When the fire engines go down the street, all the dogs in the neighborhood  howl
____10. As soon as John will get a good job, she is going to buy a condominium.



No comments:

Post a Comment