Pages

Thursday, December 2, 2010

VERBS – CONDITIONALS

The types of conditional sentence can be read below:




TYPES OF CONDITIONS
VERB FORM IN THE “IF CLAUSE”
VERB FORM IN THE   “RESULT CLAUSE”



(a) If I have enough time,  I will write to my parents.
        
(b) If the weather is nice tomorrow, we will go  on a picnic


Real condition

(It is  used for  
possible situation)

 

Simple present

 

Present future


Unreal condition in present time

 

Simple past

 

Would + simple form


(c) If I had enough time now, I would write to  my parents.
( In truth, I do not have enough time, so I will  not write to them.)

(d) If I were you, I would accept their invitation. ( In truth, I am not you. )

Note: Were is used for both singular and plural.

Unreal condition in the past

Past perfect

Would have + past participle

(e) If I had had enough time, I would have written to my parents yesterday.

( In truth, I did not have enough time, so I did not   write to them.)

Exercises:
            a. Complete the sentences with the verbs in parentheses.

01.  If I have enough apples, I (bake) ___will bake___ an apple pie.
02.  If  I had enough apples, I (bake) _______________ an apple pie.
03.  I will fix your bicycle if I (have) _______________ a screwdriver of the proper size.
04.  I would fix your bicycle if I (have) __________ a screwdriver of the proper size.
05.  I (make) _________ a tomato salad for a picnic if the tomatoes in my garden are ripe.
06.  I (make) _________ a tomato salad for a picnic if the tomatoes in my garden were ripe.
07.  Jack would shave today if he (have) __________ a sharp razor.
08.  Jack will shave  if he (have) _____________ a sharp razor.
09.  If I (have) ____________ enough money, I will go with you.
10.  If I (have) ____________ enough money, I would go with you.
11.  If I (have) ____________ enough money, I would have gone  with you.
12.  If the weather is nice tomorrow, we (go) ___________ to the zoo.
13.  If the weather were nice today, we (go) ____________ to the zoo.
14.  If the weather had been nice yesterday, we (go) _______________ to the zoo.
15.  If Sally (be) __________ at home tomorrow, I will visit her.
16.  Jim isn’t at home right now. If he (be) ________ at home right now, I (visit)____________ him.
17.   Linda wasn’t at home yesterday. If  she (be) ________ at home yesterday, I (visit) _________her.
18.  If you had told me about the problem, I (help)___________________you.
19.  If I taught this class, I (not give)_____________tests.
20.  If he comes to school, I (give)__________ your message.

b. Complete the sentences with the verbs in parentheses.

01.        It’s too bad Helen isn’t here. If she (be) __________ here, she (know)____________what to do.
02.        Fred failed the test because he didn’t study. However, if he (study)_____________ for the test, he (pass)____________________it.
03.        An aerosol spray can will explode if you (throw)_________________ it.
04.        You should tell your father exactly what happened. If I (be) _________you, I (tell) ____________ him the truth as soon as possible.
05.        If I (have) ________________my camera with me yesterday, I (take) _________________________ a picture of Alex standing on his head.
06.        I’m almost ready to plant my garden. I have a lot of seeds. Maybe I have more than I need. If I (have) ___________more  seeds than I need, I (give)_________________ some to Nellie.
07.        I got wet because I didn’t take my umbrella. However, I (not, get) __________________________wet if I (remember)___________________
_____________to take my umbrella with me yesterday.
08.        I (change)_____________ the present economic policy if I (be)_______the President of Indonesia.
09.        If the teacher (be)_______absent tomorrow, class will be cancelled.
10.        George has only two pairs of socks. If he (have) __________ more than two pairs of socks, he (not, have to)___________________wash his socks so often.

No comments:

Post a Comment