Pages

Thursday, December 2, 2010

VERBS – WISHES

- Present wishes are expressed in the past tense.

  1. Ralph wishes (that) he had $1000,000.          (but he doesn’t)
  2. Mary wishes (that) she lived in New York.    (but he doesn’t)
  
- Were is always used in present wishes for to be
  
1. We often wish (that) we were not so busy. (but we are )
2. He has often wished (that) he were older.  (but he is not)
   
- Past wishes are expressed in past perfect.
  1. Hiromi wishes (that) she had studied more English before arriving in the United States. (but she didn't)
  2. Kathy and Bob wish that the had gotten married before she went to Africa. (but they didn't)

Exercise: Supply appropriate completions in the following


01.  Our classroom doesn’t have any windows. I wish our classroom __________ windows.
02.  The sun isn’t shining. I wish the sun ____________ shining right now.
03.  I didn’t go shopping. I wish I ___________ shopping.
04.  I don’t know how to dance. I wish I ___________ how to dance.
05.  You didn’t tell them about it. I wish you ________________ them about it.
06.  I can’t go with you. I wish I _____________with you tomorrow.
07.  I don’t have enough money to buy that book. I wish I ___________enough money.
08.  Jerry didn’t come to the meeting. I wish he ______________ to the meeting.
09.  I don’t know French. I wish I ________ French.
10.  It’s cold today. I’m not wearing a coat. I wish I ___________ a coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment